Friday, November 26, 2010

First {Fix'n}Thanksgiving Dinner

This was it. This was the year that I took-on the big turkey dinner.

Was I online chasing tips and 5-star recipes for days? Yes.
Did I stock my pantry with "back-up" ready made options? I did.
Did I wake up in the middle of the night-in a cold sweat? Maybe.

Thanksgiving has always been a big family dinner. But now so far away it was naturally going to be different.We went back & forth over different options for the day - but our love of the traditions couldn't be swayed, so I gathered my courage & put my domestic skills to the test.
 
Excited & nervous I woke up at 6am just like my Mom does and got right to work.By 9am I was sliding our turkey into the oven. It didn't even cross my mind that my 12 lb. turkey would cook much faster than my Mom's traditional 25 lb.bird. So my 2:00pm dinner worked out to be an 11:30 lunch!

 It wasn't the familiar scene- the enormous table, all the smart-alic remarks, all the loud noises and the crowded kitchen. It was just us. Our little family of three sitting at our little table. Eating and talking, making plans..all the every day things. But somehow it still felt special. As cheesy as it sounds, it was perfect. Overwhelmingly perfect. I looked around and couldn't feel more grateful for the blessings in my life. It was one of those small moments I'll remember forever. 

I still love the big dinner, but this was one to remember, our little family's first solo Thanksgiving dinner...
We topped off our day having a blast at Steve & Tressa's.We had some yummy dessert, laughed, talked, & watched the girls play all night. Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

MeganDan said...

Hey! I don't know if you remember me, but I am Dan Allen's wife! I just found your blog :) I remember when your little girl was just a newborn. Crazy how fast time flies!

You guys look so good :) Glad things are well for you!