Tuesday, March 23, 2010

On the Mend

Shortly after getting back into town it was discovered I might be unexpectedly pregnant despite my IUD. I quickly got in to see Doctor Kester and the tests were ordered. Then more tests.

The big debate was whether I was really early in a pregnancy or if I was just finishing a miscarriage.

Both my hCG levels and the ultrasound results conveyed reasons to support either diagnosis. We had an early miscarriage in January, which was also unexpected w/ the IUD in place. But another doctor who consulted on my case was more inclined to think it an early pregnancy. It was then decided to give it time and retest my blood work in a few days.

Then I got the call explaining that my hCG levels went down, indicating a miscarriage.

Holy roller coaster of emotions.

A day or two went by and the pains I'd been feeling were worsening. Thinking it was all connected and explained through miscarriage I tried to ignore it. Friday night it was more than I could handle and Chad was all for the ER. It was another hospital moment where I thought it would be an in-&-out visit so we hopped into the car with little M in tow.

After being checked-in and running a series of tests, Doctors found it was a ectopic "tubal" pregnancy. I had begun to bleed internally and they advised laproscopic surgery right away. They gave us an hour to ready ourselves and get me into surgery.

Chad made the phone calls as I got my first ever IV (I had M naturally) and within a short amount of time friends came to take M and administer a blessing.

Pretty scary but pretty amazing.

The surgery lasted about an hour. My doctors and nurses at Lakeside Hospital were phenomenal. Though my right Fallopian tube couldn't be saved we've been reassured it has no impact on future pregnancies. They estimate I was 6 weeks pregnant.

Now on the mend, I'm feeling much better and very very blessed.
A big, big thank you to my wonderful parents who came out for a week & took such good care of me. LoVe you Mom & Dad!


First Shot In- Bleeding Internally
Ectopic Pregnancy in right Fallopian tube
Removal of right Fallopian Tube with Left Fallopian Tube shown pulled back
(look at the difference in size between the left & right tube above)

10 comments:

The Olsens said...

oh you poor thing.... Im greatful you are doing good!!

Tina said...

Oh Steph!!! I am so sorry! I hope you get feeling better very soon! Sending our love your way!!! :)

blake and mckelle said...

Steph...so sorry to hear about that! Glad you are doing well.

Monica said...

Gavin's sister and my sister have both had ectopic pregnancies; I'm beginning to wonder how rare they are since I know so many people who have had them! I am glad you were able to get in for surgery right away and hope the recovery goes well also. :)

Janet said...

Holy cow! I'm so glad you're okay - thank goodness for the power of the priesthood. I, of course, think it's VERY cool you have pictures of your surgery. Thanks for sharing!

And I couldn't help but feel a slight twinge of pride as I heard mention of your "first ever" IV. :O) I can't believe you're so fertile that you're getting pregnant even with an IUD in place. Might to time to rethink your birth control options! :O)

Anonymous said...

Steph!! I am so sorry to hear about all of that!! Our prayers are with you and your family! Hope all is going well! We love you guys!

The Burr's said...

Talk about scary!!! Im so Glad your doing better.. Love you Lots! If there is anything we can do let us know!

Ben, Ashley, and Nate said...

Hey, cute girl! Thanks for saying hi! Now we can keep in touch! Good to see what you're up to and hope you're doing well. Good luck with the recovery and hope you feel well soon!

Ash

TR said...

Isn't Lakeside the best? And yay for going natural! That's what I do too. I'm glad you're feeling better.

Heather said...

Stephanie! That is awful. I had an IUD for a while and I had NOTHING but problems. I think it might be a sign from the man upstairs that it is time to look at other options for birth control. So sorry you had to go through this! You have such a positive attitude. You are an inspiration! Hope you are doing better!